Interior design trends don’t just impact on new designs of fabrics and furniture in bedrooms; there are also changing trends in how we dress and style a bed. Between National Make Your Bed Day, which took place on 11th September, and our natural focus shifting from outside to in with the colder days ahead, there is no better time to get your bed dressed for the weather. Jackie McLoughlin at British bedding brand Appletree has compiled its top ten tips on how to style a bed like a pro, including the team’s most popular bed making hacks.
1. Flip it and reverse it – a current trend in bedding is reversible duvet covers and mixing prints. This not only provides two options for the main design on show – you can change the look daily – but it adds a fantastic additional feature to a bed when the top of the duvet cover is turned down.
2. Throw on a throw – throws are still a great styling device for beds, but not too neatly folded along the bottom of the bed. Throws should now look more informal, casually draped over the corner of the bed.
3. Spread it on thickly – adding a bedspread can not only inject a strong colour element into the focal point of the room (the bed) but it’s also a great instant update for autumn / winter bedrooms.
4. Get cushions covered – cushions are still an essential for a super stylish bed. But how many? Three is a magic number in styling, or certainly an odd number, and maybe stick to under six in total in a Super King or King and three for a Single. Mix cushions in different shapes, colours, designs and textures for a current look, and display in a non-uniform arrangement. Cushions are also a great way to juxtaposition design elements or colours. On-trend metallics are a hot look for 2017/18, and they will pretty much go with any style of bedding design.
5. In or out? The most common questioned asked with regards to styling a bed is whether pillows shoud be above the duvet or tucked underneath.
6. Lavishly layer – texture and layering is another key trend in AW17 interiors. The aim should be to achieve ‘casual elegance’ – layer up bedding and accessories for an effortless look that doesn’t try too hard. Textures for this season include velvets, patchwork and metallics.
8. Create a theme or colour palette – for example, bedding with a botanical design can be complemented with gorgeous green plants and rich coloured walls. Pick a bold design that makes the bed the focal point then build up the theme around the bedding design.
9. Pay attention to detail – dressing beds is all about attention to detail. Small details like a button, exposed zip, piped edge or metallic foiling can add that extra layer of sophistication to bed styling. And what lies beneath is important. For the more meticulous homeowner, a flat sheet with old school hospital corners is a nice detail (especially in a guest room at Christmas time).
10. Go for quality – you do get what you pay for when it comes to bedding – both in terms of duvet and pillow covers and the filled bedding. Go for the best bedding you can afford – it will not only ooze style but also withstand regular washing. Remember to give pillows and duvets a good shake before dressing the bed to even out the filling and return their plump.